| Yield: 8 skewers | Prep Time: 15 min | Total Time: 30 min
Enjoy wholesome, colorful plant-based kebabs grilled on the barbecue or in the oven! Add a twist with flavorful chimichurri sauce, an Argentinean condiment to spice up your veggies.
- 2 small zucchinis
- 2 medium red bell peppers (seeds removed and chopped into large pieces)
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers (seeds removed and chopped into large pieces)
- 2 medium red onions (peeled and chopped into large pieces)
- 3 large portobello mushrooms (wiped clean and chopped into large pieces)
- 8 skewers
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (can sub 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- For a bit more heat, add 1 medium serrano pepper (chopped)
- For a touch of sweetness, add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- For added zest, add 3 tablespoons of lime juice
Directions for the Kebabs:
- If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 20 minutes.
- If using a barbecue, preheat the grill. If using an oven, preheat the oven to medium-high heat (350 - 400 F).
- Chop the onions into large pieces. Cut bell peppers and mushrooms into large chunks. Slice the zucchinis into rounds 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch thick. Add the sliced veggies to a bowl and toss everything with the olive oil, vinegar, spices and salt.
- Skewer the vegetables.
- For a barbecue, place the skewers directly on the grill. Grill 10 to 12 minutes until tender and browning around the edges, turning every few minutes.
- For oven cooking, place each skewer on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
Directions for Chimichurri Sauce:
- While the skewers are grilling, finely chop the parsley, fresh oregano, and garlic (or process in a food processor several pulses). Place in a small bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the chimichurri sauce over the grilled veggie skewers and serve. You can also make the sauce beforehand and refrigerate. If chilled, return to room temperature before serving.