Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 15 min | Total Time: 30 min
Celebrate summer with colorful, healthy fajitas as a side dish with any Mexican-inspired meal!
- 3 multi-colored peppers, stemmed and sliced into strips
- 3 portobello mushrooms, stemmed and wiped clean
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Flour or Corn Tortillas
- Guacamole or avocado slices squeezed with lime
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Diced tomatoes or Pico de Gallo
- Tomatillo Salsa or Pineapple Salsa
- Heat a grill to medium heat with a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (or grill pan) inside.
- Arrange the peppers on a tray and the mushrooms and onion wedges on a separate rimmed plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and several grinds of pepper. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the mixture over the peppers and toss to coat. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the mushrooms and onions. Drizzle the mushrooms with a splash of balsamic vinegar, coating the mushrooms on both sides.
- Grill the peppers in the cast iron pan for 8 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until charred and soft. Be careful not to overfill the pan or the veggies won’t char on the edges.
- Grill the mushrooms and onion wedges directly on the grill for about 4 minutes about per side. Remove everything from the grill.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ lime over the peppers and season with salt, pepper, and more chili powder, to taste.
- Slice the mushrooms into strips and place on a serving dish. Transfer the onions and the peppers to a serving skillet or large platter.
- Serve with the tortillas, guacamole, jalapeños, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and remaining lime wedges.