This sweet, toasty, crunchy granola is what breakfast dreams are made of. The mixture of oats, coconut, and pumpkin seeds is gently scented with an irresistible golden milk spice blend.
For the uninitiated, golden milk is a sweet and sometimes spicy hot beverage bursting with Indian spices. While golden milk as we know it is mostly a western invention, turmeric has been enjoyed in India for thousands of years where it has not only culinary, but symbolic and religious significance as well.
Golden milk can be as simple as ground turmeric dissolved in milk (or tea), but many recipes include other delicious spices and sweeteners. I recently stumbled upon golden milk and, once I made a big batch of the spice blend I couldn’t stop looking for different ways to use it.
This granola recipe did not disappoint.
Turmeric is the only absolutely necessary ingredient in golden milk, and why would you want to skip it? Turmeric contains curcuminoids, bioactive compounds with incredible anti-inflammatory properties. They're used to reduce joint pain, arthritis, and inflammation, and even treat depression.
Many golden milk recipes also contain black pepper. In addition to adding a little kick, piperine, the active compound in black pepper, increases the bioavailability of curcumin. This smoothie is a one-two punch of anti-inflammatory deliciousness.
Fats—found in the nuts and coconut in this recipe—also help you absorb turmeric’s nutrients.
This granola makes a wonderful snack or breakfast bowl with yogurt and fresh fruit—you won’t go back to store-bought granola! Store granola in an airtight container for 1 to 2 weeks, or place in the freezer for long-term storage.
Additional Recipe Note: If you don’t like your shredded coconut toasted add it in at the end with the made granola.
- 2 cups of rolled organic oats
- ⅔ cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup crushed or slivered almonds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 5 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Golden Milk Spice Blend (see below)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly across the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven to give it a nice stir. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Allow granola to cool on the baking sheet.
For the Golden Milk Spice Blend:
- ½ cup ground turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger powder
- 2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients and store in a glass jar. Enjoy this spice blend in golden milk, oatmeal, smoothies, and baked goods.