So many people think that living a healthy life is boring and that feeding your body right means no treats. This decadent pudding proves that you can mix nutrition with plenty of flavor—and even that chocolate fix that so many crave. Recently I wanted to make a special treat for my three-year-old son. He loves his chocolate (who doesn’t?), so I thought: chocolate pudding. Unfortunately, like so many packaged foods, the chocolate pudding I found had 14 different ingredients (some of which I couldn’t even read) and artificial colors Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1. Sad and frustrated, I went home without any chocolate pudding.
Then I remembered that one of my favorite local plant-based cafes, Greentruth, has the most amazing chocolate pudding I had ever eaten. I knew I had to find out how they made this delicious pudding fit their plant-based mission. It turned out the main ingredient in their pudding is . . . AVOCADOS!
This recipe uses just five simple ingredients—seven or eight, if you include all three optional toppings. (Definitely do include the optional toppings, as it makes this rich, delicious pudding even more decadent.) I call this a huge mom win. Not only did my son love this pudding, I love knowing it nourishes him with healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
Make sure you choose ripe avocados for the best consistency and taste.
- 2 medium avocados, perfectly ripe
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 7 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Pink himalayan sea salt to taste
- Chopped pistachios or other nuts, coconut, or cacao nibs for toppings (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Halve avocados and remove the pits. Slice the avocados while still in their shells, first lengthwise and then crosswise to make a grid. Then, scoop out the flesh. Slicing the avocados before scooping out the flesh will give you nice chunks.
- Put the avocado chunks into a high speed blender, along with the honey, cacao powder, and milk.
- Start blending at low speed, then increase speed if needed.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about ?? hours. Serve cold, adding toppings as desired.